African Journal of
Agricultural Research

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Agric. Res.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1991-637X
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJAR
  • Start Year: 2006
  • Published Articles: 6730

Full Length Research Paper

The Liverpool fish market in Lagos State, Nigeria

C. I. Ayo-Olalusi*, P. E. Anyanwu, F. Ayorinde and P. O. Aboyweyere  
Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research, P. M. B. 12729, Lagos, Nigeria.
Email: [email protected]

  •  Accepted: 27 September 2010
  •  Published: 04 October 2010



A survey of the Liverpool Fish Market in Lagos State, Nigeria was carried out to assess the market structure, the socio- economic characteristics of the fish marketers and the nature of fish sold. The Liverpool fish market was headed by a woman, Alhaja Aminat Abdukalim, the Iyalode of Sanni Market Apapa who co-coordinated the activities in the market. The market was dominated mostly by women and only few men were found in a ratio 1:4 (male: female). Eighty-six percent of the respondents were within 21 – 50 years age bracket which fell within the active age in human beings while only 2% of them were above 60 years. Majority of the marketers (70%) had only primary school education while only 5% had tertiary education. Smoked fish (65%) constituted a majority of the fish marketed while the remaining 35% were fresh and live fish. Liverpool market was identified as an important secondary fish market in Lagos State which played critical role in channeling fishery products to the citizens of Lagos Metropolis. Major problems faced by the marketers were erratic supply of electricity, inadequate cold storage facilities and stalls to display the fish products.



Key words: Fish market structure, fish marketers, socio-economic characteristics, fish sold.