Acquisition of multidrug resistance and the spread of MDR among pathogenic microorganisms is a growing concern to world. Extended-spectrum ï¢-lactamases (ESBLs) strains of the Enterobacteriaceae; ESBL trait expressing Escherichia coli poses major threat and ESBL E. coli infections are increasingly reported from hospital settings as well as community settings with rising mortality and morbidity rates. The objective of this study was to study distribution of various types of ï¢-lactamases expressed within the clinical isolates of E. coli. In this work, clinical specimens: urine, stool, sputum, pus were collected over a period of three months from patients from rural area of Maharashatra State, India. Out of number of isolates, only thirty-six E. coli isolates were chosen for determining existence of ESBL, MBL, AmpC and Carbapenamase producing ability. Choice of isolates included resistance to at least of the three third generation cephalosprins used in this study. About 75% of E. coli strains were found to express ESBL trait, while remaining 25% expressed non-ESBL trait. About 28% isolates produced AmpC phenotype. Seven of 36 isolates (18%) indicated co-existence of ESBL and AmpC, while strain AKA43 was found to contain MBL and AmpC traits together. The prevalence of ESBL, MBL, AmpC and carbapenemase producing E. coli was studied. A few of these isolates were found to harbor more than one type of ï¢-lactamases.
Key words: Extended spectrum ß-lactamases (ESBLs), ampCß-lactamases, metallo-ß-lactamases (MBLs), antibiotic resistance.
Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0