African Journal of
Microbiology Research

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Microbiol. Res.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1996-0808
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJMR
  • Start Year: 2007
  • Published Articles: 4875

Full Length Research Paper

Screening of human diarrhoeal samples in Mymensingh city of Bangladesh for the isolation, identification and antimicrobial resistance profiles of Campylobacter spp.

Sudarsan Karmaker
  • Sudarsan Karmaker
  • Department of Microbiology and Hygiene, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
  • Google Scholar
S. M. Lutful Kabir
  • S. M. Lutful Kabir
  • Department of Microbiology and Hygiene, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
  • Google Scholar
A. K. M. Ziaul Haque
  • A. K. M. Ziaul Haque
  • Department of Microbiology and Hygiene, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
  • Google Scholar
Mohammad Ferdousur Rahman Khan
  • Mohammad Ferdousur Rahman Khan
  • Department of Microbiology and Hygiene, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
  • Google Scholar
Yousuf Ali Sarker
  • Yousuf Ali Sarker
  • Department of Pharmacology, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
  • Google Scholar


  •  Received: 23 July 2018
  •  Accepted: 13 August 2018
  •  Published: 28 August 2018

Abstract

Campylobacter spp. (Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli) are one of the major cause of food-borne bacterial diarrhoea in human worldwide. This study was conducted for the isolation, identification and antimicrobial resistance profiling of Campylobacter spp. from diarrhoeal samples of human collected from Surya Kanta (SK) hospital, Mymensingh Medical College, Mymensingh during the period of August 2016 to October 2017. Using cultural and biochemical techniques, a total number of 150 samples were subjected to Campylobacter isolation and identification. The isolated Campylobacter species (C. jejuni and C. coli) were characterized by antimicrobial susceptibility testing. Among 40 positive Campylobacter isolates, 23 (57.50%) were C. jejuni and the rest 17 (42.50%) isolates were C. coli. Furthermore, out of 40 Campylobacter like organisms, 22 Campylobacter isolates were found in male patient and 18 Campylobacter isolates were found in female. 13 (16.04%) C. jejuni and 9 (11.11%) C. coli were found in male and 10 (14.49%) C. jejuni and 8 (11.59%) C. coli were found in female. Considering the different age groups, 5 (33.33%), 12 (27.91%), 19 (29.68%) and 4 (14.28%) Campylobacter isolates were found in 1 to 15, 16 to 30, 31 to 50 and above 50 years respectively during the period of August 2016 to October 2017. Majority of the Campylobacter jejuni were resistant to ampicillin, nalidixic acid, tetracycline and norfloxacin. However, majority of the Campylobacter jejuni were susceptible to gentamycin, chloramphenicol, ciprofloxacin, azithromycin and streptomycin. Furthermore, C. coli were resistant to ampicillin, tetracycline, erythromycin, nalidixic acid, norfloxacin and susceptible to streptomycin, chloramphenicol, gentamycin and ciprofloxacin. Out of 40 Campylobacter isolates 65.21% C. jejuni and 52.94% Campylobacter coli were detected as multidrug resistant. The findings of the study revealed the presence of multidrug resistant Campylobacter species in human diarrhoeal samples in Mymensingh.

 

Key words: Human diarrhoeal samples, Campylobacter spp., isolation, identification, antimicrobial resistance profiles.