African Journal of
Plant Science

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Plant Sci.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1996-0824
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJPS
  • Start Year: 2007
  • Published Articles: 722

Article in Press

Multi-location Evaluation of Yield and Yield Related Trait Performance in Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L.(Moench)) Genotypes at Western Oromia, Ethiopia

Geleta Negash, Wakgari Raga, Biru Alemu

  •  Received: 10 October 2019
  •  Accepted: 09 March 2020
The experiment was conducted on 12 sorghum genotypes against checks at Haro Sabu Agricultural Research Center sub site for 2 years (2017-2018) to evaluate high yielding, insect-pest tolerant genotypes and to assess genotype by environmental interaction on grain yield and yield stability. The genotypes were sown in randomized completed block design (RCBD) with 3 replications in the net plot size of 9 m2 using 4 harvestable rows at the spacing of 0.75 m x 0.15 m. 9 agronomic traits and 3 economically important diseases reaction were evaluated. Analysis of variance revealed significant difference among genotypes for all observed traits. All observations attained non-significant differences over years except days to heading, days to maturity, 1000-seed weight and grain yield. Similarly, varieties x location was significantly affected all recorded traits except root lodging, while varieties x year x location exhibited significant difference for all traits except plant height, head length, head weight and 1000-seed weight. The results revealed that, Sayo sub site was the most discriminating ability and good representativeness site. The combined analysis of variances and AMMI analysis for grain yield across environments exhibited significantly affected by environments, explained 62.59% of the total variation. The genotype and genotype x environmental interation were significant and accounted for 29.39% and 6.03%, respectively. Pricipal component 1 and 2 accounted for 4.14% and 1.30% of the genotype x environmental interation, respectively with a total of 5.44% variation. Generally, G3, G5 and G9 were identified as promising genotypes for high yielding and stability, tolerant to diseases and use as parents in future breeding programs

Keywords: Sorghum evaluation, GEI, Yield stability, Discriminating ability, Representativeness.