Educational Research and Reviews

  • Abbreviation: Educ. Res. Rev.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1990-3839
  • DOI: 10.5897/ERR
  • Start Year: 2006
  • Published Articles: 2008

Full Length Research Paper

Personality and self-assessed intelligence: Can gender and personality distort self-assessed intelligence?

*Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic and Adrian Furnham
  *Department of Psychology, Goldsmiths College, University of London. Department of Psychology, University College London
Email: [email protected]

  •  Accepted: 22 September 2006
  •  Published: 31 October 2006



This paper examines the extent to which self-assessed intelligence (SAI) may be a function of personality traits, gender, and “actual” intellectual ability (as measured through psychometric g) in a sample of 188 (119 female) UK university students.  Participants completed three cognitive ability tests and the “Big Five” personality inventory after estimating their own multiple intelligences.  Psychometric (extracted from the three ability test scores) was a significant predictor of SAI (extracted from self-assessed multiple intelligences), accounting for 10% of the variance.  When personality was added to the regression model, the percentage of variance explained increased to 22%, whilst gender accounted for an additional 7% (total = 29%).  Emotional Stability (rather than Neuroticism) and Extraversion (rather than Introversion) were associated with higher SAI.  Theoretical implications with regard to the taxonomic position of SAI, and practical implications with regard to educational and occupational assessment and performance are discussed. 


Keywords: self-assessed intelligence, personality traits, psychometric intelligence, gender