Journal of
Agricultural Extension and Rural Development

  • Abbreviation: J. Agric. Ext. Rural Dev
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 2141-2170
  • DOI: 10.5897/JAERD
  • Start Year: 2009
  • Published Articles: 409

Article in Press

Assessment of Market Participation and Market Orientation of Smallholder teff Producers in Jamma District, South Wollo Zone, Ethiopia

Getachew Eshetu, Tesfaye Lemma

  •  Received: 21 October 2019
  •  Accepted: 26 March 2020
Selling of staple food crop is the most common method of earning cash income in Ethiopia. Among the staple crops, teff (Eragrostis teff) has become the essential source of income for farmers and market oriented crop in the country. But there is scanty of literature and no study has been conducted in the study area on this topic. Hence, this study was initiated with the aim of assessing the level of teff supplied to the local market, investigating determinants of market participation by smallholder teff producers and their market orientation. The study was based on a field survey of 155 randomly selected smallholder farming households. Data was also collected from four focus group discussion participants consists both men and women farmers and twelve key informant interviewees including kebele leader and woreda office of Agriculture head. Of the total sample households, 69% participated in the teff market, while the remaining 31% did not participate in teff selling. Households that used improved seed and applied fertilizer to teff production had a better participation rate than their counterparts. Hence, expanding access of those inputs and timely provision of inputs at the affordable price can boost teff productivity and market participation.

Keywords: Jamma district, Market participation, probit model, smallholder farmers, teff