Journal of
Veterinary Medicine and Animal Health

  • Abbreviation: J. Vet. Med. Anim. Health
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 2141-2529
  • DOI: 10.5897/JVMAH
  • Start Year: 2009
  • Published Articles: 330

Full Length Research Paper

Prevalence, cyst viability, organ distributions and financial losses due to hydatidosis in cattle slaughtered at Nekemte municipal abattoir, Western Ethiopia

Nebyou Moje*
  • Nebyou Moje*
  • Hawassa University School of Veterinary Medicine, P.O. Box- 05, Hawassa, Ethiopia.
  • Google Scholar
Adugna Degefa
  • Adugna Degefa
  • Hawassa University School of Veterinary Medicine, P.O. Box- 05, Hawassa, Ethiopia.
  • Google Scholar


  •  Received: 18 July 2014
  •  Accepted: 21 October 2014
  •  Published: 30 November 2014

Abstract

 

A cross-sectional study was conducted from October, 2013 to March, 2014 to assess the prevalence, cyst viability, organs distribution and direct financial losses of hydatidosis in cattle slaughtered at Nekemte municipal abattoir. Out of 473 inspected cattle at postmortem inspection, 82 (17.34%) were harboring a single or multiple hydatid cysts. Significantly (P < 0.05) higher infection rate was observed in different age groups and body condition scores. Anatomical organ distributions of cysts showed 64.2, 32.4, 0.93, 2.16 and 0.308% in lung, liver, kidneys, spleen and heart, respectively. Of 324 total cysts collected, 74 (22.84%) were calcified while the rest 250 (77.16%) were non-calcified cysts. From those non-calcified cysts, 62 (24.8%) were fertile while 188 (75.2%) sterile. Furthermore, viability analysis of fertile cysts showed 34/62 (54.84%) viable cysts. The rate of cyst calcification was higher in liver (60%) than other organs whilst the fertility was higher in lungs (23.6%). Size assessment revealed 87/250 (34.8%) small, 94/250 (37.6%) medium and 69/250 (27.6%) large sized cysts. In this study, annual economic loss from organs condemnation was estimated to be 8561.61 Ethiopian Birr (ETB) (450.6 USD) per annum based on the local market prices in the study period. This showed that hydatidosis is an economically important disease of cattle which necessitates appropriate strategic control.

 

Key words: Bovine, financial loss, hydatidosis/Echinococcosis, Nekemte, prevalence.