Scientific Research and Essays

  • Abbreviation: Sci. Res. Essays
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1992-2248
  • DOI: 10.5897/SRE
  • Start Year: 2006
  • Published Articles: 2764

Full Length Research Paper

Melon pod fermentation and its effects on physio-chemical characteristics of melon seeds

B. A. Jackson*, C. A. Adamade, I. I. Azogu and K. C. Oni
National Centre for Agricultural Mechanization, P. M. B. 1525, Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
Email: [email protected]

  •  Accepted: 28 April 2010
  •  Published: 04 May 2013



Studies were carried out to determine the effects of melon pod fermentation on the proximate and mineral composition of the melon seeds. Two varieties of melon commonly found in Nigeria were analyzed for similarities in this study. Proximate and mineral compositions of the seeds (Citrullus vulgaris, Egusi melon) were determined using standard analytical procedures. Comparative analysis of the seeds from the fermented pod and those from the unfermented pods showed that there were negligible differences in the seeds composition reported to dry weight. Results shows that the moisture content for the fermented samples was between 5.3±0.1% and 5.8±0.3%, while in the unfermented seeds it was 5.3±0.1% and 5.6±0.3% for the Bara and Sewere respectively. Ash content was 3.3±0.1% and 3.8±0.1% in the fermented while it was 3.5±0.1% and 3.6±0.1% in the unfermentedBara and Sewere respectively. Ether extract was between 31±0.1% and 33±0.1%, crude protein (18.25±0.1% and 19.30±0.2%), crude fiber (14.92±0.1% and 15.8±0.1%) and total carbohydrate (22±0.2% and 23±0.2%). The acid value for the unfermented melon seeds of all the varieties used was in the range of 1.65±0.1% and 1.68±0.1% while the Iodine values obtained was in the range of 21.4±0.1% and 21.6±0.1%. The results showed that fermentation does not affect the mineral compositions of the melon seed and had no significant effect on the quality of the seed at the 5% significant level using the Duncan Multiple Range Test.


Key words: Fermentation, melon pod, seed.