International Journal of
Livestock Production

  • Abbreviation: Int. J. Livest. Prod.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 2141-2448
  • DOI: 10.5897/IJLP
  • Start Year: 2009
  • Published Articles: 265

Article in Press

Assessment of opportunity and challenges of indigenous beef cattle breeds production practice and marketing system in Dawro zone, Southern Ethiopia

Yaekob Lorato , Merhun Lamaro

  •  Received: 29 January 2020
  •  Accepted: 16 April 2020
This study was conducted to assess constraints and opportunity of indigenous beef cattle production, and marketing system in Dawuro Zone, southern Ethiopia. To achieve these objective secondary and primary data were used. Mareka, Tocha, Isera districts were selected for study. Thirty indigenous beef breed farm owners were randomly selected for study area, ten farm owners selected from each district. As respondent notify that they were great opportunity of indigenous beef cattle production, those opportunity were suitable agro ecological condition, availability of good indigenous breed type and access to market. In the study area indigenous beef cattle was keep primary for the purpose of income and also they use secondary for draft purpose. Indigenous beef cattle production system were 86.67 % extensive and 13.33% were semi intensive. During dry season, crop residues(53.33%) is the main feed for their cattle, followed by enset and banana(26.67%), grazing land (13.33%) and also some of them use hay (6.67%). The major constraints that hinder the productivity of indigenous beef cattle in study area were shortage of grazing land (43.33%), followed by lack of extension service (30%), disease (20%) and shortage of water (6.67%) respectively. In the study area 90% of respondent’s sales beef cattle informal ways and the remaining 10% sales beef cattle formal ways. There are different challenges of indigenous beef cattle marketing system seen in the study area such as lack of market information, lack of infrastructures, lack of market oriented and price fluctuation.

Keywords: Beef, Opportunity, Challenges, Marketing system