Journal of
Cancer Research and Experimental Oncology

  • Abbreviation: J. Cancer Res. Exp. Oncol.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 2141-2243
  • DOI: 10.5897/JCREO
  • Start Year: 2009
  • Published Articles: 53

Full Length Research Paper

Loss of heterozygosity (LOH) of deleted in colorectal cancer (DCC) gene and predisposition to colorectal cancer: Significant association in colorectal cancer patients of Kashmir

Nighat P. Khan
  • Nighat P. Khan
  • Department of Biochemistry Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir – 190 011. India.
  • Google Scholar
Arshad A. Pandith
  • Arshad A. Pandith
  • Department of Immunology and Molecular Medicine, Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir – 190 011. India.
  • Google Scholar
Mahboob U. l. Hussain
  • Mahboob U. l. Hussain
  • Department of Biotechnology, University of Kashmir, Srinagar Kashmir.190011.India.
  • Google Scholar
Adfar Yousuf
  • Adfar Yousuf
  • Department of Biochemistry Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir – 190 011. India.
  • Google Scholar
Mosin S. Khan
  • Mosin S. Khan
  • Department of Biochemistry Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir – 190 011. India.
  • Google Scholar
Mushtaq A. Siddiqi
  • Mushtaq A. Siddiqi
  • Department of Immunology and Molecular Medicine, Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir – 190 011. India.
  • Google Scholar
Khrusheed A. Wani
  • Khrusheed A. Wani
  • Department of general surgery, Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir – 190 011. India.
  • Google Scholar
Syed Mudassar
  • Syed Mudassar
  • Department of Biochemistry Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir – 190 011. India.
  • Google Scholar


  •  Accepted: 01 November 2011
  •  Published: 30 November 2011

Abstract

Loss of heterozygosity (LOH) of deleted in colorectal cancer (DCC) gene, a putative tumour suppressor gene has been implicated in development of various cancers. Here we aim to study the frequency of LOH of DCC gene in colorectal cancer (CRC) patients of Kashmir and further to assess any association with etio-pathological factors. Genomic DNA from 80 confirmed CRC tissue samples as well as adjacent normal tissues were used in this study. LOH of DCC gene was detected using two intronic microsatellite markers, D18S8-M2 and variable number tandem repeat (VNTR) by restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) and amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) respectively. LOH in DCC was observed in 26 of 80 (32.5%) at VNTR and 19 of 80 (23.75%) at D18S8-M2 region in CRC cases. The combined frequency of LOH of DCCgene of two markers aggregated to 56.25 % (45 of 80) of CRC cases. In this study it is found that LOH has a frequency of 56% in patients with CRC and is highly frequent in patients with higher stage/grade in CRC.

 

Key words: Colorectal cancer, restriction fragment length polymorphism, loss of heterozygosity, microsatellite markers.

Abbreviation

ASR, Age standardized rate, DCC, deleted in colorectal cancers; VNTR,variable number tandem repeat; MSI, microsatellite instability; RFLP, restriction fragment length polymorphism.