African Journal of
Microbiology Research

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Microbiol. Res.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1996-0808
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJMR
  • Start Year: 2007
  • Published Articles: 5233

Full Length Research Paper

Special biochemical profiles of Escherichia coli strains isolated from humans and camels by the VITEK 2 automated system in Al-Ahsa, Saudi Arabia

Naser A. Al Humam
  • Naser A. Al Humam
  • Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, King Faisal University, Hofuf, P.O. Box 1757, Al Ahsa 31982, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
  • Google Scholar

  •  Received: 08 April 2016
  •  Accepted: 11 May 2016
  •  Published: 14 June 2016


The VITEK 2 automated system was used for comparing biochemical characteristics of Escherichia coli isolates from human urinary tract infections (UTIs) and camel faecal samples for the first time in the study area. Identification by the system to the species level was accurate. Recovery rate of E. coli from camel specimens was 26% and for human specimens was 33%. Based on biochemical activities, human and animal strains were distributed into 19 profiles. Biochemical profiles 1 and 2, of the classical E. coli activity, comprised 26 camel (50%) and16 human strains (24.2%). The rest human strains (75.8%) were distributed among 10 profiles and 50% camel strains among 7 profiles. E. coli O157 was not confirmed as 6.1% human isolates were β-glucuronidase negative but sorbitol positive whereas, 11.5% camel isolates were sorbitol negative and β-glucuronidase positive. The results showed atypical biochemical reactions but no unique biochemical profile number for E. coli causing community-acquired UTIs in the study area. Phenotypic similarity between camel and human isolates was demonstrated and implication of camel isolates in environmental contamination is discussed.

Key words: Escherichia coli, non-O157, VITEK 2, camel, human, Saudi Arabia.