African Journal of
Pharmacy and Pharmacology

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Pharm. Pharmacol.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1996-0816
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJPP
  • Start Year: 2007
  • Published Articles: 2184

Full Length Research Paper

Appropriateness of digoxin level monitoring in a children's hospital

Yue Huang, Di Cao and Zhiping Li*
Department of Pharmacy, Children's Hospital of Fudan University, 399 Wanyuan Road, Shanghai, 201102, China.
Email: [email protected]

  •  Accepted: 10 September 2012
  •  Published: 15 November 2012

Abstract

To evaluate the proportion of inappropriate digoxin level determinations in children at Children’s Hospital of Fudan University. A retrospective analysis of 291 digoxin level determinations in 210 inpatients was performed. Appropriateness criteria were based on existing criteria that were revised using local expert opinion. The main outcome measure was the proportion of digoxin levels assessed as inappropriate by these criteria. Of the 291 digoxin levels, 126 (43.3%) were considered inappropriate and the remaining 165 (56.7%), appropriate. For the majority of the inappropriate determinations timing of blood sampling was incorrect (74.6%); the remaining determinations were done without proper indication. Almost half the digoxin blood level monitoring was assessed as inappropriate, mainly because of incorrect timing of sampling. Interventions to ensure that appropriate indications and procedures for serum digoxin determination in children at the Children’s Hospital of Fudan University are urgently needed, moreover, special criteria need to be made for children in digoxin blood level monitoring.

 

Key words: Digoxin, therapeutic drug monitoring, children, appropriateness.